Head Teacher's Welcome Message
During your child’s time here, we hope you will come to regard the school as your school and that your family’s involvement with the school will always be positive. We very much value your part in the education of your own child and recognise the work you have already done in teaching your child as their first. We want to continue to strengthen this partnership between home and school.
We believe we give our children a strong start in life as we are an innovative community who have developed a range of programmes that are unique for a school.
We deliver the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) from Year 1 to Year 6 as we want our children to benefit from a combination of academic, personal and international learning. At WDPS we have created the WDPS Raising Aspirations Programme (RAP) as we believe that all children need to have positive adult role models in order to help them to achieve their full potential. This is why we invite inspirational speakers in to school to help our older children understand that hard work, perseverance and following your dreams can open up maximum choices in all aspects of life.
We are very proud to have created the WDPS Life Skills Challenge programme as we believe that children need to gain the skills, attitudes and knowledge to achieve all that they can in life.
- WDPS I Can Do It
- WDPS First Aid
- WDPS Olympics Challenge
- WDPS Developing Core Values
- WDPS Life Cycle
- WDPS Resilience
- WDPS Business Enterprise
The WDPS Resilience module has been created based on Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) research and embeds the WDPS Core Values as we seek to help our children develop confidence and effective communication and people skills.
I have been fortunate in my life, as I have benefitted from strong family support and I have also had the privilege to work in stimulating educational settings in the UK and around the world. In essence what we are creating at WDPS is the best of all that I believe is fundamental to giving our children ‘A Stepping Stone into the Future.’ Please look at the WDPS Prospectus as this gives a clear overview of our school. [link to prospectus]
We pride ourselves on being responsive to the community we serve, and the school staff strive to make WDPS a happy and successful learning environment for all children who attend the school.
We look forward to our getting to know you and your child better.
Outer West Learning Trust
WDPS works with other local schools for mutual benefit. The Head Teachers meet together regularly to share ideas and this has helped our schools to improve learning by sharing good practice e.g. staff training for the successful Read Write Inc. initiative.
Now our schools propose to strengthen our working relationships by becoming Foundation schools (still Newcastle Local Authority maintained schools) and gain charitable status as the Outer West Learning Trust.
Visit the Oter West Learning Trust website for more information, click on the link below.
At West Denton we believe that all children should be valued and that their achievements should be celebrated. Each Friday certificates will be awarded in each class as follows:
- Reader of the Week
- Writer of the Week
- Mathematician of the Week
- Learner of the Week
- Positive Attitude of the Week
Children will be praised by our school community at our weekly Achievers Assembly and then the children will take the certificates home for families to appreciate their success.
We believe that a ‘Work Hard and Achieve’ culture should be promoted and celebrated.
The children, staff and Governors of West Denton Primary School have discussed the Attitudes and Learner Profile we want to promote in both children and adults throughout our school community.
WDPS Ofsted Inspection – December 2013
2013 ended with a team of Ofsted Inspectors visiting the WDPS community on the 4th and 5th of December. [download Published Ofsted Report here]
Overall we have been graded as a ‘Good School’ with ‘Leadership and Management’ evaluated as ‘Outstanding’.
The report reflects what is special about the WDPS community:
- Staff, pupils and parents alike have positive views of the school, the care and the education it offers.
- Pupils are proud of their school.
- The curriculum is exciting and relevant for pupils.
- The curriculum is outstanding.
- The wider curriculum has the explicit aim of raising aspirations for all of the pupils.
- Pupils’ progress in mathematics is outstanding and progress in English is good and improving rapidly and securely.
- The school promotes the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils well.
- Equality of opportunity is central to the work of the school.
- Most of the teaching observed during the inspection was good, and some outstanding practice was seen.
- Teaching Assistants provide good and often outstanding support for pupils.
- Behaviour in and around school is excellent.
- Governors are able to challenge the head teacher and senior team so that improvements continue at a pace.
- The leadership of the school is inspirational.
- The dynamic headteacher, together with the deputy headteacher, phase leaders and governing body provide outstanding leadership for the school.
So congratulations and thank you all for your positive and much-appreciated support for the WDPS community.